Wednesday, March 30, 2011

meditate

I'm typically a pretty mellow person.

I really like to hang out with friends in groups, and I can have a fun time. But honestly, I really enjoy spending time by myself. Sometimes I just need that "me time". I'll go to movies by myself and I love just sitting in an empty room reading books.

But lately I've been trying to meditate more. A couple of years ago, I picked up yoga because my physical therapist recommended it to me after an accident that sprained a ligament in my spine. I kept with the yoga, and when I went back to school I started going to yoga classes three times a week. I continued to do it even after I left school. But on top of that, I've added 20 minutes of meditation to my routine at least 5 days a week.

I've been really stressed out lately with school and then working full-time and I've noticed what a huge impact it brings. I sleep so much better when I take the time. It's also a good way to help calm my heart down when it gets all crazy on me. It's perfect to help me stop thinking and relax. I tried doing it without music, but then I focused too much on the sounds around me, especially with four other girls living in the same apartment. So I started listening to a couple of different stuff while breathing. Moby is the best right now. Zoe Keating and her cello always amaze me. And the soundtrack from the new Pride and Prejudice always helps me mellow out.

Try it out. Just sit and breathe. Take the time to love yourself

2 comments:

Tracy Haws said...

I love you Holly! (P.S. I might have successfully accomplished a Crow position for more than 2 seconds...woot woot)

Holly said...

That's awesome!! My record for tree pose is 15 minutes. Some day I'll break it!