Tuesday, March 22, 2011

i'm too sexy for my overalls

So yesterday I had a guest rip my pants off.

(You might want to read that first line again to believe it... because it's true)

Yesterday I was working in the position of Exit, where I thank guests for coming as they're leaving the theater and make sure that no pesky bugs try to steal the classes. Well as some may know, we've had particularly rainy and thunderous storms going on, so there was a lot of puddles and slippery spots in the exit area. The entire park seemed to smell like over-priced plastic ponchos, and anyone who's had to wear one knows that they can rob you of your peripheral vision and if you step on the hem of it, they can lead to a deathly fall.

I was standing near the exit greeting guests as they walked by when this one woman in a bright yellow poncho about a foot away from me takes a nasty slide in a puddle! Well I guess my overalls where the closest thing near her because she reached out, grabs my pocket and tries to bring my pants down with her!

She landed on one knee and luckily she was perfectly fine, but my overalls came out as the only casualty. As she fell she ripped two of the three buttons on the side of my pants. It was quite scandalous.

Then I had to go to my manager and explain why I was so indecent and request an emergency break to run across the park to go to costuming. Costuming is all the way on the other side of Disneyland about as far away from Bugs Land in California Adventures as possible, so you can imagine my embarrassment as I'm holding my clothes together, dodging guests and getting that all-knowing grin from the cast members who passed by. To get to costuming, I had to pass through three different security booths, and I had to try to one-handedly use my security card and get through the turnstiles. Each security guard had to ask me for the story, and the cast members at costuming made me tell the story three times, because they thought it was so funny, it had to be shared with the California Adventures costuming AND the Disneyland costuming cast members.

It was a humbling day. And it was a bit embarrassing, but needless to say, I am SO glad those overalls had shoulder straps, otherwise my whole world would have come crashing down with the poncho-ed guest and my pants.

2 comments:

Allison said...

ergh. oh. oh no. my pants. oh. please. don't look at me. ergh.

Katie said...

Holy cow Holly! I love your writing. You are so witty and such a great story teller! I'm sorry your pants fell off, but I'm glad you wrote about it :)