Tuesday, March 29, 2011

wayne

This is Wayne Champion.

He's one of the Starbucks regulars and he's one of the most fascinating people. He's there all day long every day just hanging out in his giant puffy coat and mardi gras purple necklace. I've been meaning to ask him about that. And he always has his little roll-a-way suitcase and his ghetto old laptop. I don't really know what he does all day other than take naps like below or play solitaire.

But he has amazing stories. Wayne and his old friend Bill were both on the All American team for football back in the 1960's. In fact they were both on the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles came. Later on Wayne became quite famous for his voice by singing in Jazz clubs all over the world, including in the Apolo. I need to hear more of his stories.

But he's a sweetheart. Every time I see him, he tells me how I bless him with his presence. He saves me a seat at the table next to him on wednesdays and thursday and the other day he gave me this paper flower as I was leaving for work. I love all the people I've been fortunate to meet.


No comments: