Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Stuck in the Air-(port)

Yep... I'm still here

I've been sitting here for about four hours and I'll probably be here for an hour more. That's if I'm lucky. Because apparently, even though the city of New York never sleeps... the air port does. So if the plane doesn't get here in an hour, we're pretty much going to be here until tomorrow because the air port closes at 1am.

But it gave me time to think... You know how apparently it used to be favorable to dress up? Like every where you went, you always wore a skirt and heels? Well not me... and probably not you since it's probably before any of our time. But how cool does that sound?

Even on opening day of Disneyland on July 17th 1955, when the weather in Anaheim California got up to a scorching 110 degrees Fahrenheit and women's heels were sinking in the asphalt to the point where male cast members where recruited to carry female guests to their destinations... and they wore dresses?! Calf-length and volume-enhancing slips! This is crazy! I can't even imagine it. While working in WDW, on our days off, we purposely wore as little clothing as possible (while still maintaining modesty, because let's face it, modest it hottest) and did we care that we all looked permanently pink and sweaty? Heck no! We're at Disney! It's our day off!

I can guarantee you that none of these little girls cared which dress they were wearing, unless they were worried about the aerodynamic-ness of their dress because they were just trying to run to the rides!


And then there's the airport, I'm here so I might as well talk about it... But people used to dress nice to travel! Like the stewardesses and stewards. It makes me think about the movie Catch Me if You Can. The pencil skirts and aerosoled hair. Who wants to travel like that? It's so uncomfortable being on a plane for hours on end... imagine being in panty-hoes on top of that! No. Thank. You.


But I'm not going to lie... It did look pretty hott. Plus I really want one of those Panam travel bags...
And since I keep going on these tangents, follow me on one more. Because you can't think of 60's fashion without one reference to Doris Day. Now she was smokin'. Check out this dress from Pillow Talk. She's pretty much completely covered and yet it's the sexiest thing I've ever seen! I want it!

Rock Hudson's character totally checks out her bum in this scene, and let's admit it, we all did because that dress is fantastic!


No comments: