Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The pen is mightier than the sword

I do love to write. I always have. It took a while for me to get into reading when I was little because I really suffered with my dyslexia. But once I caught on, it was like a wild-fire! I have always excelled in English and I've won a couple of literature competitions. But mainly I like to do it for myself. It started with my high school friend. She used to go through about one journal every month or so. So that really got me into writing and journalling. I just write down memories or things that I like or I find important. Things I want to remember or things I want to be known to others later.

But one thing that I love the most is lists... I make lists for everything and any thing!! Packing lists, grocery lists, do to lists, want lists, lists of memories, homework lists, likes and dislike lists. They help me keep my head on straight and they help me focus. When I'm feeling down, they help keep me up, keep me grateful, or just help me remember about what's good in life.

I also love letters. I love having a missionary to write to once a week. I loved having a friend in China to keep in contact with. And I'm really excited to start the pen pal madness with a new friend while in Disneyland. I prefer hand-written. There's just so much more love and sincerity in a hand-written letter. It shows genuine care for someone. E-mails are kind of cold because you can't see their unique hand-writing. Their words may be there, but it's not really them. It takes about ten days to a week for a letter to get to Jamaica, so a e-mail to the missionary would be a lot faster. But it's so much more exciting and filled with love to hold that part of them in your hand as you read their thoughts.

All the while I have been in college, my mother would send me sweet cards and letters in the mail. It was always kind of silly since we talk at least once a day on the phone. But it's so much more personal and it shows me that she loves me.

Go out and write someone. Especially at this time of the year when it's the most important to let someone know that you love them, there's no better way than by sending them a letter in the mail.

This was a list written by Johnny Cash. It's really sweet, I love it. Even the Man in Black wrote lists

No comments: