Friday, December 10, 2010

Thought Process and Home



So I've been thinking... I'm older now and I no longer have that "back home" that most college students my age possess, so I've been thinking about where would I classify as home?

I don't have a little family of my own yet, so I can't say that home is where my family is because I haven't built one yet. I have my parents and my siblings, but they've all created their own homes and as loving as some of them have been by saying I always have a home with them, it's not exactly "where my heart it".

Don't think this is a depressing post because it's not. It's a post about self-realization. Because I've found something. I can make my own home all by myself.

I am my home. I can feel at home in familiar elements or surounded my familiar elements. Like my stuff; cameras, Beatle's poster, record player and a puffy bed (not to forget Pippin as well) and I've created a home for myself!

As for actual geographical "homes", I feel at home in cities. Downtown Seattle always feels like a home. I've got memories and hang-outs there. And New York City. I've had adventures all over that island. I've found favorite haunts and places to see. I've got the subways down like a native. And I'm totally comfortable there by myself. I started running around NYC by myself since I was 15. I'm completely happy there.

I guess this all started because of my mother. She recently left her comfort zone of Washington and is now soaking it up in New York. I know it's hard to get out of that comfort zone but you can make a home for yourself no matter where you are. All that matters is that some where in this world, there are people who love you and you can always go to them to feel at home.

Home is where the heart is. So build your home around the things you love and learn to love more things around you.

No comments: