Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Will Never Drink Milk Again

This weekend has been amazing. We had such a fun trip. My roommate Stephanie is from a little town outside of Rexburg called Blackfoot, Idaho. She lives on a dairy farm and she and her family invited our whole apartment to check out the farm and have a home-cooked meal. My roommate Jill had a volleyball tournament so everyone else left earlier in the day on Saturday and Jill and I came behind them after her final game. The drive was a little over an hour and it was literally in the middle of no where.

Once we got to the farm, we headed straight over to a neighboring potato farm run by Steph's soccer coach. Since there's a lot of pictures below, I'm going to explain the trip picture by picture instead of typing it out and then explaining the pictures again. But after the potato farm, we went back to Steph's to play with the cows!

We had such an amazing time. But we were exhausted! After cleaning the barn up a bit; meaning spraying a hose to clear out the poo from the stalls and then using giant shovels to clear out the poo from the giant enclosure. Then we went back in the house, washed up and had a delicious home-cooked meal of taco soup and homemade bread. We hung around for a while but as it was getting late we headed out, stopping at a tiny gas station/ diner to get some ice cream. It was so much fun but so exhausting! We all slept so well (After very thorough showers to wash off the stink of cow) and I think we've all learned to appreciate the men and their families who have to do this 2 times a day everyday in order to receive small pay. It's not a very rich life, but they seem so happy. Thank you Anderson family!

Lauren and Allison. We were all REALLY excited to see a potato field!

Stephanie, Jessie, and Jill in the front

Literally in the middle of Blackfoot Idaho

Those trucks are FULL of potatos... and there were like 5 more!

MILLIONS of potatoes!

This cute little old man was just sitting in the shade with the potatoes. His son was the farmer that owned the farm. He was so cute and def

That huge cellar is COMPLETELY FULL of potatoes

We got to walk through this dark, wet tunnel to get to the back of the cellar, then climbed these pitch black stairs and actually stood on top of all the potatoes! The inside looks like the huts of the Sand People from Star Wars

Millions of Dirty Potatoes

Jill was basking in the potatoes

Then we buried Lauren in Potatoes

When we got back to Steph's we got to see all the baby cows

Then we climbed inside a Grain elevator and played in the grain... only there was tons of dead crickets too... yuck

It would not be a real farm without TONS of cats everywhere!

The baby cows would suck on our hands! It was kind of really gross

But they were so sweet!

I was celebrating my success in actually doing farm work (pictures are out of order here, it'll make more sense as you go down)

They were so soft and kissy!

Doing farm work!!

And right on top of the baby cow... maybe I'll stick to photography

Big Mommas

LOTS of big mommas!

There's no true friendship like the friend that lets you rest your head on her bum

This was spike, the cat that followed us everywhere and would let you do anything to him. He's so snugly

"What are you looking at?" I was taking a lot of photos of the cows and they didn't seem to appreciate it

We climbed a huge 15ft pile of hay bails. This is where I learned that I am allergic to Hay. After we went back in the house, I was covered in what I though were scratches, but then the scratches started to multiply and get REALLY itchy. I had to take benadryl :(

You can't really tell but we're REALLY high up!

We like to goof off a lot. And yes, that is Spike of Jessie's head

Then Steph took me and Jill on a ride on this HUGE tractor. We screamed the whole time!

Still screaming... some of us are screaming with Joy, others with fear...

Then Jill drove and I REALLY screamed!

I took two cameras with me. My film camera and my SLR. I was legit

All of us in our coveralls and boots... ready to do the milking

They don't use their hands anymore. It would take way too long. So we learned how to clean the udders, hook them up to the machines, then disinfect the udders and send out the cows. It was crazy busy. We also feed the baby cows and cleaned things up.

It STANK in there. This is me and Jill. While we are hooking the cows up to the milker, you have to be careful, you are standing by their back end, and you never know when a cow is going to "Drop a pie", Allison had that misfortune of getting some splattered on her face!

This is my "having fun but NEVER drinking milk again" face

No comments: