Friday, February 11, 2011

Bringing Fear into the Hearts of Children

I was writing an e-mail to my Niece Suze. She's 10 and we are e-mail pen pals. So cute. She writes four sentences each on their own line with 4 smiley faces or characters per line. It's pretty cute.

She recently sent me an e-mail telling me about how she just lost another tooth and this was my reply. It was just too funny to pass up. I've got some crazy stories but I realize now why my family is so awesome. So I dedicate this post to my mother for being an awesome (understanding) advocate for the tooth fairy and for my grandpa who could never give up an irreverent joke opportunity:

YOU LOST ANOTHER TOOTH?! Which one?! That is SO exciting!!

I remember when I lost a tooth once, I was brushing my teeth in Nana's bathroom and the tooth fell out and went down the sink!! I was so upset because I was scared that the Tooth Fairy wouldn't find it and I wouldn't get my quarter (teeth weren't worth very much back then. The tooth fairy only paid a quarter per tooth. And that was only as long as the tooth was a good one; white and clean from brushing. She's a picky lady!) So instead I drew a picture of my tooth falling out of my mouth and falling into the sink and sitting in the bottom of the drain looking sad. Haha, she gave me TWO quarters for it! I think she really liked my drawing.

But that is so cool that you lost your tooth! I hope it doesn't hurt any more. That's the worst! I'm glad my teeth won't fall out anymore. Unless I'm an old lady and I have to get fake ones! YUCK!!

Do you remember my grandpa? Granddad's Dad? Well he used to have dentures which are those fake teeth. He got them when he was 14 because he got into a hockey accident. Only I didn't know this until I was a little girl. Your Momma took baby you and Scott, and me to go visit him and my Grammie in Virigina. We were talking when all the sudden Grandpa got this sneaky look on his face and popped his teeth out!!! I SCREAMED because I thought my Grandpa was falling apart!! I didn't know he had fake teeth and it freaked me out! It startled you and scotty since you were just babies but your Momma and Grammie laughed so hard!!

So take care of your teeth Lovey Bug! Otherwise you'll scare your grandchildren!! Haha

Love you more! Have a great time at your valentines party!! Send me a valentine!

Holly-Auntie

1 comment:

Tracy Haws said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing that story. You brought a smile to my face and a little tear in my eye. It is so hard to know that I can't "drive" to go see Grandpa and am missing my family something fierce. I didn't even know that Grandpa had dentures for that long. I remember him holding my hand and getting me to put my finger on his mouth when he jumped out his teeth. Scared me to death. Can't you still hear the sound he makes when he does the dive-bomb tickle finger? Oh Holly, I'm just so proud of the woman you are becoming and wish we could sit and have a long chat over some hot tea. I love you and would love it if you and your friends ever wanted to make a road trip out to Texas. ;)