Wednesday, September 21, 2011

they say it's your birthday

Sunday was my birthday. Woop. One year older and wiser too.

It was actually really great. I had purposely planned a really low-key birthday. I was just going to relax with my roommates, fix myself a large breakfast, go to church, and open a few packages, and take a well deserved nap!

The saturday before I had planned to go out to dinner with a few friends. M and B recommended Famous Dave's BBQ. Sounded great, so we headed over. The food was delicious, but it was soured by some unwanted entertainment... Bagpipes.

I'm not even joking. What does bagpipes have to do with good ole Idaho BBQ?! It was so loud and they wouldn't leave. Not to meantion that they had to play in every room of the restaurant, which unfortunately were all close quarters. So you heard the same song at least four times, maybe more, since their lack of knowledge of songs required them to play the same song more than once in one or more rooms.

I was not amused.


This was during the second round of "Praise to the Man"

After dinner, we headed over to M and B's home for some cake. B is amazing. She can totally convert you to tuna casserole and she can amaze you with her cake decorating skills. They surprised me with this amazing and delicious home baked cake. It feels great to have such supporting friends of quirks.


 Then they surprised me further with the most gorgeous gift. I had seen this many times in Disneyland and in stores alike. I had always been tempted to buy it for myself but I had been lacking either courage or funds. So imagine how touched I was to see when M and B had been amazing enough to find the perfect gift.

I've also been extremely fortunate to have a wonderful collection of friends and family who know me well enough to surprise me with some of the most wonderful gifts. My cute niece and nephews sent hand written cards. There were plenty of sweet treats and thoughtful cards. These are just a few of the bounty I accumulated:

 A vintage Mickey necklace. I'm getting really into gold now

R2-D2 decal for my phone. It's amazing!! It covers the entire phone. I'm obsessed.

Photos in brightly colored frames 

A vintage Beatles record brought to my by A, all the way from Russia, so everything's written in Russian but I'm pretty sure they still sing in English. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to it quite yet.

So a very happy birthday to me! I enjoyed a great day with great friends and many unexpected surprises. Including coming home to a home filled with balloons and star wars cupcakes! Yum!

Fun fact: the Beatle's birthday song "They Say it's Your Birthday" was in fact written on September 18, 1969. Twenty years before I was born. To the day. It was fate!

No comments: