Wednesday, August 17, 2011

another day at disneyland

Today was my first time working World of Color guest control. I've been scheduled for it many other times but luckily I've always gotten out of it. As a cast member you learn to dread WoC. It's pretty much one of the most stressful environments and a lot of the time, the people aren't happy and they KNOW it's all your fault.

I was working in the blue section at the very head of the que helping quests with disabilities into their waiting area. A little black girl and her mother were at the very front of the line behind me. Every now and then she'd ask me random (but very important, in her mind) questions. And between her questions I'd find time to help other guests...

Miss Need-to-know: Do you know Mickey Mouse?

H: Yes I do, he tells me where to work. That was cute, but not an uncommon question from a child. Then the big one hits...

Miss NTK: Well do you know Jesus?

H: ... crickets chirp... well, yes I do. I hear he's a really nice guy... The mom is just looking at me

Miss NTK: He lives in Heaven you know. Up there. She points to the sky.

H: I do know that. Yes.

Miss NTK: But you can't see him. The Egyptians say that they can see their God but that's not right.

H: Ohhhh... You're very smart. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY?! The mom's just watching me and I'm just shocked!

Miss NTK: You know, you should really buy "The Ten Commandments for Kids". It tells you all you need to know.

H: Well... Thanks, Sweetheart. That's very helpful. At this point I'm just trying desperately to find a topic of conversation that I'm more comfortable. I mean, I'm not uncomfortable in my faith, I just am not entirely comfortable about being proselyted by a 7-year-old

No comments: