Monday, May 10, 2010

The Frog that crossed the road

I was at work the other day, being a pointer at a closed lot. That means I stood at the cones directing cars onward if they tried to stop and helped them with directions if they didn't know where they were going. It was getting kind of dark but I could still see. I was completely alone and getting really bored of being there by myself waving at the buses as they passed when I saw a little frog.

He hopped behind me and on to the side walk. I thought he was cute but I stayed away incase he decided to redirect towards me. Just because he looks cute doesn't mean I want to touch him. So I watched him.
Then I noticed that he was heading towards the street. I got a little panicked because there was a lot of cars passing at faster speed then the frog could hop. I couldn't watch because I just KNEW he was going to get run over! But I couldn't not watch because I wanted to make sure that he made it safely.

He quickly made it safely past the first lane. But then he must have forgotten where he was going because he stopped. Now I was getting really anxious. What would my managers think if they found out I stopped traffic for a frog? I decided against it. Instead I hoped that he'd make his mind up soon.

Then the inevitable happened... a huge semi-truck. That's right. Our poor frog was struck by a truck. It was awful. I don't normally like bugs or amphibians but I didn't want to watch him get squished!

When I got back to the break-room one of the bus drivers who would pass me came up and asked me how my shift went. I thought this was weird especially since it's an unwritten rule that parking lot cast and bus drivers don't mix. It's like a mafia of polyester. It turns out that during this whole frog incident I looked like I was watching two on-coming trains colliding, and everyone saw me.

What can I say? I'm a sympathetic soul (pathetic being the key word)

No comments: