Thursday, April 29, 2010

"Please keep your hands, arms, and legs inside the tram at all times..."

Today was exhausting! My roommate Kendall and I woke up early for Orientation for the Magic Kingdom. We had to be there at 715 so in order to catch the right bus at the right time, we had to get up and dressed in our Business Attire at 545. When we got to the park we were taken on another tour that taught us all about the history of the Magic Kingdom and even some trade secrets which I am LEGALLY BOUND not to reveal in any way... besides, you don't want to know, you want to believe in the magic. But it was SO cool. We got to go into the park before the guests were allowed in and we went through each of the lands learning a different story. I am going to write the gists of them below.

Adventure Land- was built so you could never see it all at one time. There are turns and corners so that something new is discovered at every turn.

Frontier Land- There is SO much detail in it that no one would notice unless they were looking or history teachers, like the brick path down the red cement represents the paths they had in colonial times because people would dump their chamber pots on the street, or the tilted shutters on the windows because they used to use leather to hold them up and the sun would stretch them, therefore tilting the windows.

Fantasy Land- is supposed to be the carnival behind Cinderella's castle, so if you look behind the exterior of the attractions in that land, you'll see and brick wall that looks like the castle to signify that you're in Cinderella's kingdom.

Tomorrow Land- is always being updated. Because tomorrow is always after today, they can't keep the same thing for too long. Where the Buzz Lightyear ride used to be was an attraction called "If We Had Wings" which was about air planes... well we already do have air planes so that needed to be updated.

After our main tour of the park; and getting to ride Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear (without having to wait in line), we split up into our individual jobs and met with our leaders to see where we would work and give us our costumes! My guy's name was Allan, and he was in his mid 70's. But he still loved walking around the park and taking pictures for people who needed him. He talked r e a l l y s l o w but he was still interesting when he wasn't repeating himself 5x's or forgetting stuff in different buildings! I was really tired and I'd already been up for 6 hours and one of the old guys I'm training with thinks he's the next Chubby Checker. I wanted to smack him so bad! but anyways, I learned I am NOT working in the park :( In fact, I'm not even in eyesight of it! I work in the parking lot. My job is going to be driving and commentating the parking lot tram. I was completely bummed at first. I'm going to be in the sun all day long and wearing a color that tends to attract bees with a waist line that's closer to my armpit than my actual waist. But I'm going to make the best of it! I'm going to be there for people to be excited before they get to the park, and I will get to be on an actual ride pretty much all day long. It'll just take me some time to get used to it and I'm sure I'll love it!

I've got work tomorrow early again and I am pooped! So I just wanted to post a couple of really nasty looking pictures of me (because I am so tired and sweaty from an immensely long day, I'm sure I'll start looking like myself again in a couple weeks or so) in my new costume. Be sure and notice my favorite part... the return of the Skorts! *I also have a plastic rain suit that's not pictured because I need a different size, but it's overalls and a huge coat worthy of defeating Monstro in, let alone a Florida hurricane!)


Like the Orthopedic shoes?


Katie (Hollywood Studios Dining), Myself, and Kendall (Fantasyland- Dumbo, the Carousel, and Philharmagic)


My sweatshirt for the cold... there's a flap in the front AND the back!

1 comment:

Gabrielle Jean Murphy said...

oh i loved the tram directors when i was a kid!!