Monday, July 26, 2010

Zack-a-man

The first time I met Zack, he scared the tar out of me! He was this loud little yappy dog that belonged to my Aunt Tracy. I remember running away from him when I walked through the door of my Aunt's house in Virginia. I love dogs, but he was just so LOUD for such a little guy.

The next time I met Zack was when he came to live with my mother and I when my brother Noel came. I thought it was so funny because they looked so much a like. They both had the rugged look with the graying beard and they both smelled like saw dust and the inside of Noel's truck. It was so endearing to see how much Zack worshiped Noel. He never left him alone and he always had to sit near him if not on him. But Zack was stubborn; he didn't give his affections easily. It took a while for Zack to decide that I could pet him and that it was ok to sit next to me. He didn't even lick me until months after moving in. But he loved howling at the fire trucks as they drove past the backyard and he loved hanging out of the passenger window of Noel's truck.

Then came Pippin. Zack did NOT like Pippin when he first arrived. Zack would watch him from a distance and huff and puff every time Pip came near him. When baby Pippin tried to snuggle next to him, Zack would get so offended and leave, only to have Pip follow him ten minutes later. Eventually Zack got over it and the two of them were hardly ever separated. They were best friends and Zack was definitely the boss but Pip never minded.

Zack loved to cuddle. Whenever it got cold out he HAD to sleep under the covers. He loved to burough and he always had to be touching someone while he was sleeping.

He loved to eat ice cubes! He would roll them around on the floor and throw them into the air before crunching them. They were treats to him. In the summer time we would fill up a kiddie pool and put ice cubes in it too cool the water, but Zack would always get in it and eat all the ice!

He ALWAYS barked! We never could get rid of that habit but when he barked, it was so manly and it felt like he was laughing at you.

I'm a total dog person and kind of a sentimental, so this is blog is dedicated to Zack. One of the best companions there ever was. I'm gonna miss you Zack-a-man!



grumpy old man!



Pippin's best friend


Loved to play with 'Wilson', Zack would only bark and watch as Pip scurried around for the ball


Miss you!

2 comments:

Theresa Felt said...

This is such a sweet dedication to Zack! I couldn't dream of keeping him when he bonded so thoroughly with Noel David. You're right--he worshiped him! I'm glad you have such fond memories of Zack too.

Does your use of the past tense mean that Zack passed away?

Thank you for sending this link to me!

Love you,
Aunt Tracy

Holly said...

Yes, Zack passed away last week. It was extremely sad but it was for the better. He's been going blind and deaf for over a year now and he was in a lot of pain. He was a sweetheart.